Sunday 13 January 2013

Fenham Flats 13th January

Mid morning saw me by myself doing my monthly WeBS count on Fenham Flats. The weather was perfect,bright,sunny and no wind,the birds were impressive too, not large numbers but good variety. On the way out to Guile Point I encountered Shelduck numbering 409,Curlew passed the 100 mark, whilst BarTailed Godwits finished up with an impressive 345. On reaching Guile Point a scan of the small island offshore produced a 1st winter Peregrine, it gave the impression that it had just missed out on dinner and was sitting there forlorn and wondering what to do next. Out on the water a yodelling call alerted me to a group of 17 Long -Tailed Ducks,the males were displaying to the females,a great way to round off a super day.
Ian     

No comments:

Post a Comment