Monday 28 January 2013

Big Garden Birdwatch...


Female Blackbird  MJR. 
It's as well I am a Bad Birdwatcher because watching in the garden during this snowy spell has been a little dull. The hour's count for the RSPB Big Garden Bird watch was not 'big' in any form as I haven't a big garden, nor any 'big' birds nor yet any 'big' numbers to report. Sad to say I saw 3 Blackbirds, 1 Dunnock and 3 House Sparrows.

Not much to report BUT for 30 minutes I had a lovely time watching a female Blackbird. She came in to peck at the apple cores I throw out each day so spent some time enjoying them before flying on to the branch of the rosemary bush. There she sat for half an hour enjoying the sunshine, now and again preening and turning her head to check that nobody else was around. I like to think she really appreciated a quiet place to take her ease and a break from the bustle and competition in other well stocked gardens. I know I enjoyed sharing some time with her.

Mora J Rolley, Alnwick.

No comments:

Post a Comment